Good savings habits start at home. Most parents want to help their children to be smart about money, but don’t always know where to start. Whether you’re budgeting, saving, making retirement decisions, or assessing work-place benefits, share the choices you make with your children.
Think out loud about the options you weigh when you make a decision. By talking through your money choices as you go, your kids can learn how to think about spending, saving, borrowing, prioritizing and more. As your kids grow, you can introduce new topics and more interactive opportunities as a family. Visit consumerfinance.gov/parents for ideas.
- During America Saves Week 2017, the LA Saves campaign is employing multiple strategies to reach potential savers locally through public spaces, tax preparation venues, schools, banks, and more.
- Kansas Saves, through its support from K-State Research and Extension, has been hitting the airwaves in preparation for America Saves Week 2017 reminding students, listeners, and potential savers that this will be the perfect week to assess one’s savings, look at spending habits, prepare for future, and bring their savings habits home.
Organizations like yours are sharing their activities and results with America Saves throughout the week. Find out more on what others have done for America Saves Week at https://americasavesweek.org/what-others-have-done/.
Tuesday’s Events and Activities
#financewithattitude with Jose “Mr. J” Fulgencio
Date: Tuesday, February 28, 2017
Time: 10:00 am Pacific, 1:00 pm Eastern
Hosted by: @joseful
#eXASchat with Cooperative Extension
Date: Tuesday, February 28, 2017
Time: 12:00 pm Pacific, 3:00 pm Eastern
Hosted by: @moneyeXtension
- Join this special simultaneous YouTube Live and Twitter chat to celebrate America Saves Week 2017 and kick off the 15-Week Savings Challenge. Have fun with, and learn from, others who are interested in saving money.
- Our guests for the discussion on the YouTube Live (video chat) and Twitter chat include Dr. Barbara O’Neill, CFP® (Rutgers University), Dr. Laura Hendrix (University of Arkansas), Lindsay Ferguson (America Saves program), Dr. Bryce Jorgensen (New Mexico State University), Dr. Erica Tobe (Michigan State University), Dr. Lorna Saboe-Wounded Head (South Dakota State University), Dr. Sasha Grabenstetter (University of Illinois), and Bob Bertsch (North Dakota State University), who will moderate the online video panel.
Saving to Achieve Your Goals on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 from 12:00 – 12:45 Eastern
Whether you’re trying to save money to buy a new house or car, fund your retirement or prepare for educational needs this Saving to Achieve Your Goals presentation will help you along the way with proven tools of budgeting, developing a plan and saving.
- Register online at https://greenpath.webex.com/greenpath/k2/j.php?MTID=t83b1930120c3176d30a23eca96e8de8f
- This webinar is presented by GreenPath Financial Wellness.
Saving is a Family Affair Webinar on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 from 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm Eastern
Whether you are single, married, married with children, a grandparent, an aunt or an uncle – saving for the future is important. We will discuss how everyone in the family can make and contribute to financial goals such as education, independent living, or other future goals.
- Learn more and register online at https://attendee.gototraining.com/r/740292763007453953
- This webinar is presented by University of Florida/IFAS Extension in partnership with Hillsborough County Extension and Seminole County Extension. This webinar is a partnership of the Tampa Bay Saves and Florida Saves campaigns
Every Penny Adds Up: Savings Strategies & Tips on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 from 12:00 pm – 1:00 pm Eastern
Saving money may seem like the impossible dream. It can be done with some planning and discipline. This one-hour webinar will discuss where to find the money to save and ten strategies to make savings happen. For example, save 50¢ a day for a year & you can build nearly 40% of a $500 emergency fund!
- Register online at http://msue.anr.msu.edu/events/every_penny_adds_up_savings_strategies_tips
- This webinar is presented by Michigan State University Extension.
Family Savings Day on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 from 3:00 – 4:00 pm Eastern
Good savings habits start at home. Whether you’re budgeting, saving, making retirement decisions, or assessing work-place benefits, share the choices you make with your children, no matter their age.
- Register online at https://attendee.gototraining.com/r/1101073314409746689
- This webinar is presented by Alabama Saves.
Budgeting and saving on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 at 4:00 pm Pacific
Make the most of the money you have by saving more, creating a spending plan and being a smart shopper.
- Register online at wellsfargo.com/rsvp with access code MilBudget.
- Click here to learn more about this and other webinars.
- This webinar is presented as a public service by Wells Fargo.
Road Map to Financial Freedom on Tuesday, February 28, 2017 from 6:00 – 7:00 pm Pacific
This workshop helps you take the first steps on your journey to financial freedom by learning several debt repayment strategies, self administered plan, creditor workout plans or through credit.org’s Debt Management Plan to pay off unsecured debt.
- Register online at https://www.eventbrite.com/e/free-webinar-road-map-to-financial-freedom-tickets-29794679689.
- This webinar is presented by Inland Empire Saves. Click here to learn more about this and other webinars.
Contests and Facebook Events
Visit http://americasaves.org/for-savers/participate-in-asw for the full list of events and activities available today and throughout the Week.